RAID recovery testbed configuration
In the comparison test we used the following setup:
For a RAID 0
- RAID type - software RAID 0 (MS Windows LDM RAID).
- 2 member disks - Samsung 750 GB (Disk 1) and Seagate 500 GB (Disk 2).
- Filesystem type - NTFS.
- Array capacity - 1 TB (decimal).
- Number of files and folders stored on the array - about 233 000 files in 39 000 folders. Used space on the array was about 531 GB (approx. 60 % of the array capacity).
To test RAID 5 recovery capability of the RAID recovery software we used a set of RAID 5 arrays:
- Created using VMWare virtual machines (we worked with the disk image files).
- Created either by Windows (LDM) or Linux (mdraid).
- Using either NTFS (Windows) or ext3 (Linux).
- Consisting of 4 member disks 400 MB each.
- Filled with data up to its 1.2 GB usable capacity. There were approximately 53 folders and 120 files of about 50 different file types.
Continue to RAID recovery software comparison.